Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Farmers Festival Part II

Leading up the May 3rd Farmers Festival, I was a bit nervous. I wanted to make sure we had both extra vendor/art/food people as well as extra people attending so both parties were happy. So I sought to advertise as much as possible. Another Howdy Farmer had a list of local communication people. I emailed and sent fliers to many of them, to get the word out. Another Howdy Farmer did an interview with a local pop radio station. And, the Friday morning before the market, I did a radio interview with a local country station. I also took some fliers to the Village Cafe and to a local gym. The women who manages the facebook page for the market also helped with advertising and getting the word out.

To be totally honest, I was not quite sure if we would have many extra visitors at the market or not. I arrived early that morning to welcome our new vendors and make sure everyone knew where to go. I was hoping for the best. As 8 AM rolled around people started trickling in. There is always a rush of regulars who come at the beginning as they know you must come early to get the best produce, so I did not think much of it. But, soon the market was more crowded than ever, filled with new faces! I could not believe it.

Pottery Demonstration
Texas A&M Sustainability quizzing kids on water conservation

Line at the Taco Truck

All in all, I say it was a successful first Farmers Festival. Of course improvements could be made for the future, but I am happy with how it went overall. The local news station even came out and did a little feature on the market. I did a little interview for that. I wish it was online so I could post it. I am very glad that I was able to help put on this fun community event as part of my internship! 

No comments:

Post a Comment